ABBYY FineReader Professional performs one of the toughest jobs related to document conversion and editing; namely, it turns scanned papers and even photos into editable files. This is achieved via its versatile OCR (Optical Character recognition) engine that continues to reach high accuracy levels.
ABBYY FineReader Professional is able to turn various types of documents, such as faxes, barcodes, photographs, legal, magazine or newspaper pages into content that can be easily searched and edited. The process that leads to this involves a technology that carefully analyzes the original file and then reconstructs it, preserving the layout and style of the source document.
The application works and looks in a professional way. The classic, yet organized GUI provides menus that include all of its functions, but buttons are also available. When you launch the application, you will be prompted by the New Task window, which includes several options.
In the first tab you can scan a file or convert it file (PDF or image) to OpenOffice Writer, scan and save and image, or scan a file to a searchable PDF. If you choose the Writer tab, you can scan or convert a PDF or image to OpenOffice Writer, while the Adobe PDF tab lets you scan a file or convert an image to PDF.
Outstanding OCR Accuracy and Format Retention:
– ABBYY FineReader lets you accurately turn paper documents and images into fully-formatted electronic files for easy editing, adapting, archiving and sharing. The application delivers superior recognition accuracy and format retention even on documents and images which are typically difficult for OCR — such as faxes, digital photographs, legal documents, documents with long tables, barcodes, multiple and complex image items (e.g. magazine pages) and many more. It allows you to digitize your papers and dramatically optimize document processing with literally no retyping and reformatting.
Intelligent Reconstruction of Complex Document Structure and Formatting:
– ABBYY’s unique Adaptive Document Recognition Technology (ADRT) analyzes the entire multipage document and precisely reconstructs it with original layout, style and formatting attributes across all pages. By intelligently “seeing” the document in its entirety, the program identifies various elements of document structure and reconstructs them as native Microsoft Office formatting elements. Based on the 2nd generation of ADRT technology, ABBYY FineReader 10 intelligently re-creates the most complex formatting attributes, such as
– ABBYY ADRT reconstructs Table Of Contents
– Headers and footers
– Page numbering
– Captions to images / tables / diagrams
– Fonts and styles
– Table of contents (with formatting and linking)
– Heading hierarchic structure
– ABBYY FineReader also accurately re-creates in the output file a range of additional formatting elements including line numbering, signatures and stamps that can be found in legal and other documents.